Georgiana, Duchess of Devonshire (born Lady Georgiana Spencer) is the great-great-great-great aunt of Princess Diana and a relative of the new royal baby, The Prince of Cambridge. Kimberly Wilder has been an avid fan of Georgiana and of the media surrounding her life. First, Kimberly set up the blog “Georgiana Circle: Women Healing History”. Now, Kimberly has created a new eBook. Both projects celebrate the life of this remarkable, 18th century woman. And, both projects invite reflection on history, fashion, and feminism.
Georgiana, Duchess of Devonshire: The Ultimate Fan Guide celebrates Georgiana’s life as loving mother, entertaining friend, de facto politician, and Empress of Fashion. It includes reviews and an “Absolute Plot Spoiler” for: the 2001 biography by Amanda Foreman; the 2008 movie, “The Duchess”; the 2009 DVD; and the real life of Georgiana, Duchess of Devonshire. The Ultimate Fan Guide also lists some of Georgiana’s relatives among English Royalty and places her in time related to the world of women’s literature.
If you are a Jane Austen fan or are preparing to view the film “Austenland”, a study of Georgiana, Duchess of Devonshire will give insights into the feathered hats, social scene, and other Regency Era details. Georgiana, an aristocrat who threw wild parties, and had a child out of wedlock, just may be the woman Jane Austen was afraid of.
The beginning of the first chapter in the eBook:
Introduction: Why I love Georgiana, the Duchess of Devonshire
She lived a wild life. She broke her vows. She broke the rules. She spent too much money. To the outside world, she seemed all about glamour and selfishness. Yet, she had a profound influence on the world around her. And, in the end, she left a legacy of love and connection among all the children of her household…,
The table of contents:
- Introduction: Why I love Georgiana, the Duchess of Devonshire
- Georgiana Stats
- Why Georgiana the Duchess of Devonshire is so important…
- Absolute plot spoiler for “The Duchess” and the life of Georgiana, Duchess of Devonshire
- What I learned from Georgiana
- What I wish I could have told Georgiana, Duchess of Devonshire…
- School for Scandal: A way to experience Georgiana, Duchess of Devonshire, through art
- How to create a Georgiana, Duchess of Devonshire costume
- One hundred thousand blessings from Georgiana to her descendent…Princess Beatrice (Thoughts on that famous, wedding hat!)
- Review of the Duchess: Book, Movie, DVD
- Book/Movie/DVD Ratings from a Georgiana, Duchess of Devonshire Fan
- Empathy For The Patriarch: Ralph Fiennes receives a Golden Globe nomination for his portrayal of the Fifth Duke of Devonshire
- The Empress of Fashion
- Praise for Georgiana as politician, and a book that might have been
- Placing Georgiana in Time
- Georgiana, Duchess of Devonshire: Royal Descendents
- Extended Bibliography and Links
- About Kimberly Wilder
Kimberly Wilder is a poet. She plays flute and piano “just a little”, but with great pleasure. Kimberly has read every Jane Austen novel at least once. She has also seen almost every movie version of “Jane Eyre” ever made. Kimberly lives in Riverhead, Long Island, New York, with her husband, Ian Wilder, who is also a poet and music lover.
Some of Kimberly’s past endeavors have been: Completing a traditional, Liberal Arts education at Roanoke College in Virginia; running for New York State Senate and other, exciting political offices; reading poetry at local libraries and music events; coordinating a local peace and justice group; and teaching early childhood education, including teaching music to preschoolers.
Kimberly co-founded the blog onthewilderside.com with her husband. And, she has created a whole collection of Youtube videos on a wide variety of subjects.
Kimberly first discovered her admiration for Georgiana, Duchess of Devonshire by reading Amanda Foreman’s book about Georgiana. Kimberly created the blog Georgiana Circle: Women Healing History, in order to merge her passion for history with her passion for women’s empowerment.